- 1900 What is Christianity by Adolf Harnack reduces Christianity to the personality of Jesus in the synoptics, without any supernatural elements
- 1905 d. George MacDonald, Christian novelist and Poet
- 1906 Azusa St. Revival, a major catalyst to the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches
- 1921 d. B.B.Warfield
- 1922 "Shall the Fundamentalists Win?" sermon by Harry Emerson Fosdick
- 1922 "Shall Unbelief Win?" sermon by Clarence Edward Macartney
- 1923 Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen
- 1925 Scope's Monkey Trial brings national attention to Fundamentalism
- 1929 Machen and others found Westminster Seminary after Princeton is lost to the liberals
- 1934 Conversion of Billy Graham
- 1936 d. G.K. Chesterton
- 1941-43 Rienhold Niebuhr's The Nature and Destiny of Man
- 1945 Dietrich Bonhoeffer hanged by the Nazis
- 1945 d. Charles Williams, who wrote Christian metaphysical thriller fantasy novels and hung out with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien
Buy these books from Christian Book Distributors
By George MacDonald / Eerdmans Publishing Co.
This is the story of the narrator’s adventures in fairyland, where he confronts tree-spirits, sojourns to the palace of the fairy queen. A book of unparalleled charm and creativity that C.S. Lewis said baptized his imagination.
By G.K. Chesterton / Hendrickson Publishers
“There has never been a more articulate champion of classic Christian orthodoxy, virtue, and decency than this rotund jouster whose words were his weapons,” - Christianity Today. One of the most influential works of apologetics in the 20th century, it turns on their heads a number of conventional assumptions. 200 pages, hardcover. Hendrickson.
By Charles Williams / Eerdmans Publishing Co.
This penetrating study of evil in the human heart revolves around a mysterious Stone of MANY DIMENSIONS, by which one can move at will through space, time, and thought. Replete with rich religious imagery, MANY DIMENSIONS explores the relation between predestination and free will as it depicts different human responses to redemptive transcendence.
The Chronicles of Narnia, 7 Volumes: Full-Color Collector's Edition
By C.S. Lewis / HarperTrophy
Once your children have followed Lucy through the back of a magic wardrobe - and met Aslan, the Christlike lion - they'll never be the same! Kids adore these classics for their imaginative story lines and adults appreciate the rich Christian symbolism. This high-quality, softcover set would make either a memorable gift or noteworthy addition to your library.
This commemorative set of softcover books features the original cover artwork and full-color illustrations of Pauline Baynes, the first illustrator of this beloved series. The individual books measure 5.25" by 8" and the set includes an attractive slipcase in which the books can be safely stored and attractively displayed.
The Lord of the Rings, Young Adult Boxed Set
By J.R.R. Tolkien / Houghton-mifflin
For over fifty years, J.R.R. Tolkien’s peerless fantasy has accumulated worldwide acclaim as the greatest adventure tale ever written. No other writer has created a world as distinct as Middle-earth, complete with its own geography, history, languages, and legends. And no one has created characters as endearing as Tolkien’s large-hearted, hairy-footed hobbits. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings continues to seize the imaginations of readers of all ages, and this new three-volume paperback edition is designed to appeal to the youngest of them. It features the complete text with larger print and reader-friendly formatting. Recommended for ages 9 to 12.
- 1950 Doctrine of the Assumption of Mary
- 1950 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- 1951 Richard Niebuhr's Christ and Culture
- 1955 L'Abri Fellowship founded by Francis Schaeffer
Buy these books from Christian Book Distributors
Christ and Culture
By H. Richard Niebuhr / Harpercollins Publishing
Niebuhr chose to develop five types to describe how Christians in the past had interacted with their respective cultures, and how Christians are interacting with their cultures in the present. Fifty years after Niebuhr developed his five types, they are still just as relevant. Niebuhr's five types are: Christ against culture, the Christ of culture, Christ above culture, Christ and culture in paradox, and Christ the transformer of culture.
The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer, 5 Volumes
By Francis Schaeffer / Crossway Books
Dr. Schaeffer was one of the 20th century’s champions of reasoned faith. This affordable set contains all 22 of Schaeffer’s books, including his popular Trilogy (The God Who Is There, Escape from Reason, and He Is There and He Is Not Silent). Five indexed 6" x 9" softcovers, from Crossway Books.
For further study
Listen to Covenant Theological Seminary's Reformation and Modern Church History by Dr. David Calhoun.